MODERATE VIRGIN ISLANDS QUAKE ASSOCIATED WITH CONTINUING WEATHER DISTURBANCE

 

EARTHQUAKE SUMMARY FOR NOVEMBER 13, 2018

 

An unusual earthquake of M 4.9 occurred in the Virgin Islands today. NEIC reported this earthquake of M 4.9 in the Virgin Islands was felt with intensity II-III in the area(s) of San Juan, Puerto Rico. This event occurred while the eye of the tropical disturbance (unnamed)  was passing over this epicenter. This disturbance had the same relation to an M 6.3 in the North Atlantic Ocean two days ago as noted in this summary at the time:

 

"A strong M 6.2 quake was reported in the area east of Barbuda, Leeward Islands today. The National Hurricane Center (NHC) shows an area of storminess over this epicenter which has persisted for the past two days. This system was located at 15N 50W when the M 6.2 reportedly occurred today also at 15N 50W. NHC gives this a 30% probability of becoming a Tropical Depression in the next two days and 70% in the next five days. It is expected to track to the west reaching Puerto Rico in the next several days as a Tropical Depression." (November 11-12, 2018)

 

It is highly unusual for the eye of a storm such as this to trigger two moderate to large earthquakes directly beneath it in such a short period of time. This summary had expected this in the previous issue as:

 

"NHC shows an area of storminess over the Leeward Islands which has persisted for the past three days. This system is located at 15N 62W and expected to track to the west.  NHC gives this a 30% probability of becoming a Tropical Depression in the next two days and 70% in the next five days. It is expected to track  to the west reaching Puerto Rico in the next several days as a Tropical Depression.

Seismicity is expected to be enhanced in the area during this time." (November 12-13, 2018)

 

The last earthquake within about 150 km of the epicenter of the M 4.9 today occurred January 13, 2014 in Puerto Rico as an M 6.4 about 140 km to the west of today's epicenter. The continuing activity in this region over the past week may suggest an upcoming strong regional earthquake such as that of January, 2014. Forecast 120983 expected today's activity was likely around November 11 within  about 50-100 km of the epicenter.

 

NEIC reported an earthquake of M 3.2 in Puerto Rico was felt with intensity II-III in the area(s) of Guaynabo, Puerto Rico.

 

O: 13NOV2018 08:21:46  19.3N   66.3W MD=3.2  EMSC   PUERTO RICO REGION           

O: 14NOV2018 00:10:33  19.6N   65.1W mb=4.9  EMSC   VIRGIN ISLANDS REGION        

P: 11NOV2018 120983    19.0N   66.0W 3.4-5.0 AAAAA  Puerto Rico                

 

The strongest earthquake in the U.S. or Canada today was an M 4.1 in Central Alaska. It was followed by an M 3.8 aftershock.  This earthquake of M 4.1 was widely felt in central Alaska today. NEIC reported intensity IV in Manley Hot Springs, Clear, Fairbanks, Healy, Fort Wainwright, North Pole, Alaska. NEIC reported an aftershock of M 3.8 in Central Alaska was felt with intensity II-III in the area(s) of Manley Hot Springs, Clear, Anderson and Fairbanks, Alaska.

The last earthquake within about 150 km of this epicenter in Central Alaska with M>=4.1 occurred on October 27, 2018 about 100 km northwest of today's epicenter with M 5.3. The last such event less than 100 km from today's epicenter was an M 4.6 on August 28, 2018. Forecast 121128 had expected today's activity was likely around November 9 to the south.

 

O: 14NOV2018 06:25:02  64.8N  150.9W ML=3.8  EMSC   CENTRAL ALASKA                

O: 13NOV2018 15:26:42  64.8N  151.0W ML=4.1  EMSC   CENTRAL ALASKA               

P:  9NOV2018 121128    63.3N  151.0W 3.2-5.1 BBAAA  Central Alaska             

OTHER GLOBAL EARTHQUAKE ACTIVITY

 

For most events there are two listings. The first line is the observed event starting with "O:" for Observed. There follows the date, month and year, the time in UT hours:minutes:seconds, the latitude and longitude, the given magnitude and the reporting agency followed by the geographic location. The second line starts with "P:" This is the forecast event as forecast in our summaries normally more than a month in advance. Magnitudes may vary in response to updated seismic watches and daily variations due to tidal and other influences. This line has the forecast date, month and year, the forecast number, latitude, longitude and forecast magnitude range.  This is followed by a comparison between the forecast and the event. The comparison includes letters A-D. The first is number of days difference from predicted (A:up to 2, B3-5; C:6-10; D:more than 10), Difference in latitude (A:up to 1 degree; B:1-2 degrees; C:2-4 degrees; D:more than 4 degrees); longitude (same comparison as with latitude); magnitude (A: within forecast range; B: higher than forecast range; C: lower than forecast range; D: no comparison possible). The last letter is a stand in for a future comparison which needs to be done statistically after a large number of forecasts have been made. In previous data, an excellent match is generally AAAAA; a good match as one or two B's; a fair match has several B's and C's and a poor match is one which contains a number of C's or D's. 

 

ASIA

 

O: 13NOV2018 20:00:39  35.7N   69.8E mb=4.9  EMSC   HINDU KUSH REGION, AFGHANISTAN

P:  9NOV2018 121022    36.0N   71.0E 3.8-5.2 BAAAA  Hindu Kush/Pakistan        

 

NEIC reported this earthquake of M 4.9 in Afghanistan was felt with intensity IV in Peshawarm NW Frontier, Pakistan and II-III in the area(s) of Afghanistan at Mahmoud Raqui, Kabul, Baghrami and Jalal Abad.

 

O: 13NOV2018 11:17:32  43.4N   87.5E mb=4.1  EMSC   NORTHERN XINJIANG, CHINA     

 

No significant (M>=5) or unusual earthquakes were reported in Asia today.

 

INDONESIA AND PHILIPPINES

 

O: 13NOV2018 19:04:07   1.8S  120.9E mb=4.7  EMSC   SULAWESI, INDONESIA          

P:  9NOV2018 120924     0.0N  120.0E 4.0-5.4 BBAAA  Celebes Sea                

P: 10NOV2018 120954     2.0S  123.0E 4.0-5.4 BABAA  Sulawesi area              

 

O: 13NOV2018 07:34:02   4.7S  137.1E mb=5.1  EMSC   PAPUA, INDONESIA              

P:  6NOV2018 120957     5.0S  134.0E 4.0-5.8 CACAA  West Irian, PNG            

 

O: 13NOV2018 14:59:14   8.0S  128.6E mb=4.1  EMSC   TIMOR SEA                    

P: 10NOV2018 120937     6.0S  129.0E 4.0-5.7 BBAAA  Banda Sea                   

 

O: 13NOV2018 17:33:32  14.4N  125.2E mb=5.0  EMSC   PHILIPPINE ISLANDS REGION    

P: 11NOV2018 120973    14.0N  125.0E 3.5-4.9 AAAAA  Luzon, Philippines         

 

CENTRAL AND SOUTH AMERICA

 

O: 13NOV2018 10:10:00   3.8S   79.5W ML=4.1  EMSC   NEAR COAST OF ECUADOR        

P:  7NOV2018 120941     1.0S   78.0W 4.0-5.6 CCBAA  Ecuador                    

 

O: 13NOV2018 08:21:30   8.4N   83.2W ML=4.1  EMSC   COSTA RICA                   

P:  7NOV2018 120929     7.0N   82.0W 3.5-5.1 CBAAA  Costa Rica                 

 

O: 13NOV2018 11:39:00  11.8S   75.1W ML=4.1  EMSC   CENTRAL PERU                 

P:  9NOV2018 121140    14.0S   71.0W 4.0-5.8 BCCAA  Central Peru               

 

O: 13NOV2018 05:52:54  14.2N   94.1W ML=4.0  EMSC   OFF COAST OF CHIAPAS, MEXICO 

O: 13NOV2018 06:42:13  14.9N   94.0W ML=4.0  EMSC   OFF COAST OF CHIAPAS, MEXICO 

O: 14NOV2018 03:15:35  15.1N   94.6W ML=4.1  EMSC   OFF COAST OF OAXACA, MEXICO  

O: 13NOV2018 21:07:36  15.2N   94.6W ML=4.1  EMSC   OFF COAST OF OAXACA, MEXICO  

O: 14NOV2018 06:24:09  15.4N   94.7W ML=4.1  EMSC   OFFSHORE OAXACA, MEXICO      

P: 10NOV2018 120962    14.0N   94.0W 3.5-5.3 BAAAA  Chiapas, Mexico            

 

O: 14NOV2018 03:04:10  16.2N   95.2W ML=4.0  EMSC   OAXACA, MEXICO               

P:  9NOV2018 120963    18.0N   95.0W 3.5-5.3 BBAAA  Chiapas, Mexico            

 

O: 14NOV2018 04:28:02  16.2N   97.6W ML=4.0  EMSC   OAXACA, MEXICO               

P:  8NOV2018 120982    17.0N   99.0W 3.5-5.3 CAAAA  Oaxaca, Mexico              

 

O: 13NOV2018 19:18:00  16.8S   71.7W ML=4.1  EMSC   SOUTHERN PERU                

P:  8NOV2018 121146    16.0S   73.0W 4.0-5.7 BAAAA  So. Peru/Bolivia           

 

O: 13NOV2018 15:09:28  17.3N  100.4W ML=4.0  EMSC   GUERRERO, MEXICO              

P:  8NOV2018 120982    17.0N   99.0W 3.5-5.3 BAAAA  Oaxaca, Mexico             

 

O: 13NOV2018 22:52:02  18.0N   68.5W MD=3.4  EMSC   DOMINICAN REPUBLIC REGION    

O: 14NOV2018 06:57:47  18.2N   67.9W MD=3.0  EMSC   MONA PASSAGE, PUERTO RICO    

P: 11NOV2018 120983    19.0N   66.0W 3.4-5.0 BABAA  Puerto Rico                

 

O: 13NOV2018 23:34:42  18.7N   64.7W MD=3.2  EMSC   VIRGIN ISLANDS REGION        

P:  9NOV2018 120971    19.0N   64.0W 3.0-4.9 BAAAA  Leeward Islands            

 

O: 13NOV2018 08:21:46  19.3N   66.3W MD=3.2  EMSC   PUERTO RICO REGION           

O: 14NOV2018 00:10:33  19.6N   65.1W mb=4.9  EMSC   VIRGIN ISLANDS REGION        

P: 11NOV2018 120983    19.0N   66.0W 3.4-5.0 BAAAA  Puerto Rico                

 

O: 14NOV2018 00:20:59  19.7N   65.1W MD=3.2  EMSC   VIRGIN ISLANDS REGION        

P: 10NOV2018 120988    20.0N   65.0W 3.0-4.5 AAAAA  Bahamas/No. Caribbean      

 

O: 13NOV2018 22:48:50  21.9S   67.6W ML=4.1  EMSC   POTOSI, BOLIVIA              

P: 11NOV2018 121154    21.0S   69.0W 4.0-5.6 AAAAA  Coast No. Chile            

 

O: 13NOV2018 06:17:52  26.3S   69.2W ML=4.1  EMSC   ATACAMA, CHILE               

P:  8NOV2018 121152    28.0S   67.0W 4.0-5.6 BBBAA  Argentina                  

 

AFRICA AND EUROPE

 

O: 13NOV2018 13:47:51  42.0N   19.3E mb=4.6  EMSC   MONTENEGRO                   

P:  5NOV2018 121089    42.0N   20.0E 3.0-5.0 CAAAA  Romania/NW Turkey          

P:  8NOV2018 121073    43.0N   17.0E 3.0-5.1 BABAA  Italy                       

 

NEIC reported this earthquake of M 4.8 in Serbia and Montenegro was felt with intensity II-III in the area(s) of Serbia and Montenegro at Ulcinj and Podgorica, Montenegro.

 

O: 13NOV2018 09:06:11  71.4N    9.3W mb=4.6  EMSC   JAN MAYEN ISLAND REGION      

P:  7NOV2018 121137    71.0N    8.0W 3.5-5.0 CAAAA  Jan Mayen Isl. area        

 

No significant (M>=5) or unusual earthquakes were reported in Europe today.

 

SOUTHWEST PACIFIC

 

No significant (M>=5) or unusual earthquakes were reported in the Southwest Pacific region today.

 

OCEAN RIDGES

 

O: 13NOV2018 09:06:11  71.4N    9.3W mb=4.6  EMSC   JAN MAYEN ISLAND REGION      

P:  7NOV2018 121137    71.0N    8.0W 3.5-5.0 CAAAA  Jan Mayen Isl. area        

 

No significant (M>=5) or unusual earthquakes were reported on Ocean Ridges today.

 

 

ZEALANDIA AND AUSTRALIA REGION

 

O: 13NOV2018 15:48:56  32.1S  179.8E mb=4.4  EMSC   SOUTH OF KERMADEC ISLANDS    

P: 10NOV2018 121174    31.0S  179.0W 4.0-5.8 BBAAA  So. Kermadec Islands       

 

JAPAN AND KURIL ISLANDS

 

O: 14NOV2018 04:09:40  34.8N  140.0E mb=5.0  EMSC   NEAR EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAP

P: 11NOV2018 121055    34.0N  143.0E 4.0-5.6 BABAA  So. of Honshu              

 

NEIC reported this earthquake of M 5.0 in Southeastern Honshu, Japan was felt with intensity II-III in the area(s) of Fujisawa and Tokyo, Japan.

 

O: 13NOV2018 21:09:31  45.2N  150.5E mb=4.8  EMSC   KURIL ISLANDS                

P:  4NOV2018 121092    45.0N  148.0E 3.5-5.6 CABAA  So. Kurils                 

 

U.S./CANADA*

 

WESTERN U.S./CANADA

 

CALIFORNIA

 

O: 14NOV2018 01:18:54  33.6N  118.0W ML=2.1  EMSC   GULF OF SANTA CATALINA, CALIF.

P:  9NOV2018 121045    33.6N  118.5W 2.5-4.4 BAAAA  So. California             

 

O: 13NOV2018 22:37:10  31.8N  116.4W ML=2.5  EMSC   BAJA CALIFORNIA, MEXICO      

P:  7NOV2018 121044    33.4N  116.7W 2.5-4.5 CBAAA  So. California             

 

NEIC reported this earthquake of M 2.5 in Southern California was felt with intensity II-III in the area(s) of San Jacinto, California.

 

O: 13NOV2018 09:54:09  34.0N  116.6W ML=2.5  EMSC   SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA          

P:  7NOV2018 121044    33.4N  116.7W 2.5-4.5 CAAAA  So. California             

 

O: 14NOV2018 03:19:10  36.6N  121.2W MD=2.1  EMSC   CENTRAL CALIFORNIA            

P:  8NOV2018 121012    36.4N  121.0W 2.5-4.5 CAAAA  Central California         

 

O: 13NOV2018 08:50:35  37.5N  117.2W ML=2.3  EMSC   NEVADA                       

P:  9NOV2018 121009    37.8N  118.2W 2.5-4.4 BAAAA  California/Nevada area      

 

O: 13NOV2018 23:16:23  38.3N  115.8W ml=2.0  EMSC   NEVADA                       

P:  6NOV2018 121008    38.7N  115.4W 2.5-4.9 CAAAA  California/Nevada area     

 

O: 13NOV2018 11:57:14  38.8N  122.8W MD=2.2  EMSC   NORTHERN CALIFORNIA           

O: 14NOV2018 02:38:01  38.8N  122.8W MD=2.7  EMSC   NORTHERN CALIFORNIA          

P: 11NOV2018 121015    38.9N  122.8W 2.5-4.4 AAAAA  Central California         

 

NEIC reported this earthquake of M 2.7 in the Gesyers, California was felt with intensity II-III in the area(s) of Santa Rosa, California.

 

ALASKA

 

O: 13NOV2018 09:19:04  61.6N  146.4W ML=3.3  EMSC   SOUTHERN ALASKA              

P:  7NOV2018 121127    63.2N  145.5W 3.2-5.2 CBAAA  Central Alaska             

 

O: 14NOV2018 06:25:02  64.8N  150.9W ML=3.8  EMSC   CENTRAL ALASKA               

O: 13NOV2018 15:26:42  64.8N  151.0W ML=4.1  EMSC   CENTRAL ALASKA               

P:  9NOV2018 121128    63.3N  151.0W 3.2-5.1 BBAAA  Central Alaska             

 

O: 13NOV2018 14:38:04  69.6N  143.9W ML=3.0  EMSC   NORTHERN ALASKA              

P:  6NOV2018 121102    69.0N  144.0W 3.0-4.5 AAAAA  Northern Alaska            

 

 

PACIFIC NORTHWESTERN U.S./WESTERN CANADA

 

O: 11NOV2018 02:48:26  49.5N  129.7W ML=3.3  NRCA  212 km WSW of Pt. Hardy       

O: 10NOV2018 19:23:33  49.6N  129.7W ML=3.0  NRCA  200 km WSW of Pt. Hardy       

P: 10NOV2018 121095    49.5N  128.2W 2.8-4.9 AAAAA  Vancouver Island area      

 

ROCKY MOUNTAINS REGION

 

O: 13NOV2018 17:17:24  42.7N  111.5W ML=3.2  EMSC   SOUTHERN IDAHO               

P: 10NOV2018 121098    43.2N  111.0W 2.0-4.0 ABAAA  Yellowstone/Wyoming        

 

NEIC reported this earthquake of M 3.2 in Idaho was felt with intensity IV in the area(s) of Soda Springs, Idaho.

 

O: 13NOV2018 18:04:08  45.1N  113.0W ML=2.0  EMSC   WESTERN MONTANA              

P:  7NOV2018 121078    45.7N  112.1W 2.0-3.9 CAAAA  Montana/Idaho              

 

O: 13NOV2018 07:41:17  45.9N  111.4W ML=2.0  EMSC   WESTERN MONTANA              

O: 13NOV2018 16:26:44  45.9N  111.4W ML=2.3  EMSC   WESTERN MONTANA              

O: 13NOV2018 19:01:34  47.0N  112.5W ML=2.8  EMSC   WESTERN MONTANA              

P: 11NOV2018 121099    45.6N  111.9W 2.0-3.9 AAAAA  Yellowstone/Wyoming        

 

NEIC reported this earthquake of M 2.8 in Montana was felt with intensity II-III in the area(s) of Helena, Montana.

 

EASTERN U.S./CANADA

 

O: 14NOV2018 03:08:50  36.3N   97.0W mb=3.3  EMSC   OKLAHOMA                     

P: 10NOV2018 121058    37.0N   98.0W 2.0-4.3 BAAAA  Southern Plains            

 

NEIC reported this earthquake of M 3.3 in Oklahoma was felt with intensity II-III in the area(s) of Oklahoma at Morrison, Glencoe, Stillwater and Oklahoma City.

 

O:  9NOV2018 09:49:19  49.6N   66.5W ML=2.2  NRCA  49 km SE from Port-Cartier    

P: 11NOV2018 121070    49.0N   66.0W 2.0-4.1 AAAAA  E. of Maine                

 

O:  9NOV2018 00:08:48  75.2N   75.8W ML=2.9  NRCA  181 km SE from Craig Harbour  

P:  4NOV2018 121136    73.3N   73.5W 2.5-4.5 BBAAA  Baffin/Davis Strait Canada 

 

O:  8NOV2018 23:56:40  62.9N   60.9W ML=3.3  NRCA  277 km NE from Resolution Islan

 

O:  9NOV2018 04:12:13  47.6N   70.2W ML=3.2  NRCA  7 km S from La Malbaie        

O: 11NOV2018 12:42:18  47.5N   70.4W ML=1.6  NRCA  CHARLEVOIX SEISMIC ZONE       

O:  8NOV2018 17:36:56  47.4N   70.4W ML=1.4  NRCA  CHARLEVOIX SEISMIC ZONE       

P:  6NOV2018 121080    46.0N   72.0W 2.0-4.1 ABAAA  New England                

 

HAWAII

 

No earthquakes of M>=3 were located in Hawaii.